Creamy cabbage coleslaw is one of my favorite go-to dishes for many of our meals, so I want it to be as healthy as possible. Raw cabbage and carrots are excellent for your digestion and mixing them with a primarily Greek yogurt dressing and a little spicy Cornichon pickle juice is the perfect tasty nutritious combination.
The Cornichon pickle juice gives the coleslaw just the right touch of heat and flavor and we enjoy this salad often. It’s quick and easy and can be ready to serve in 15 minutes, but I like to let it rest a little in the fridge to give the ingredients time to blend together. Also, Hubby is sensitive to eggs so the little bit of mayo I used is egg-free.
Since cabbage is so sturdy, the salad is great for leftovers the next day too. You can add it to sandwiches or tacos or top it with a little chicken, fish, pork or beef for lunch. Or use lemon juice instead of pickle juice and add dried fruit, nuts and a little honey for a wonderful meat-free version. This recipe is so versatile and tastes amazing.
THE SIMPLE HEALTHY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
Begin by adding Greek yogurt, a little mayonnaise, some Cornichon pickle juice, organic ground garlic, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to a bowl and whisk until smooth. Then dice a stalk of celery into bite-sized pieces.
Now add a bag of pre-cut cabbage and carrot coleslaw mix and the diced celery to a larger bowl and pour the dressing over the top. Toss the salad until all the vegetables are well covered and let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes so the vegetables can begin to absorb the dressing. Stir one more time, then garnish with a few of the spicy Cornichon pickles, serve and enjoy.
NOTE: I don’t mind accepting a little help from the market to make my meals a little easier. I have a great favorite pre-cut green cabbage and carrot slaw mix that I use when I don’t have time to prepare the vegetables myself.
This healthy coleslaw is the perfect side dish to serve with a nice chuck roast cooked in IPA beer like the one I prepared in my new Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. See all about the Instant Pot and how it works in my post Instant Pot – My New Favorite Amazing Kitchen Gadget.
Cabbage is packed with vitamin C and is an excellent source of vitamin K, it’s also an impressive antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory. The fiber-rich cruciferous vegetable is great for digestion and has many other health benefits. It is wonderful for overall super food, so enjoy it as often as possible.
Simple Cabbage Coleslaw with Healthy Yogurt Dressing
- 3/4 Cup Greek Yogurt (Check for Unwanted Additives)
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise (I Used JUST Mayo Egg-Free Mayonnaise This Time)
- 2 Tablespoon Cornichon Pickle Juice (You Can Use Any Dill Pickle Juice You Have on Hand)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
- 16 ounces Cabbage Cole Slaw Mix (I Used a Pre-Cut Cabbage and Carrot Mix, But If Time Allows Feel Free to Prepare Your Own Mix)
- 1 Stalk Celery, Diced
- Add the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, Cornichon pickle juice, organic ground garlic, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Dice the celery stalk into bite sized pieces.
- Add a bag of pre-cut cabbage & carrot coleslaw mix and the diced celery to a larger bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the mix and toss until all the vegetables are covered.
- Let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes so the vegetables can begin to absorb the dressing. Stir one more time.
- Garnish with a few spicy Cornichon pickles, serve and enjoy.
DIANNA’S EASY REAL FOOD RECIPES – easyrealfoodrecipes.com
Heart Seasons: A Journey of Miracles
A spiritual fiction novel inspired by real life events is available HERE.
I love Cabbage in salads, it gives nice crunch and yogurt dressing is wonderful!
I agree, I love cabbage!
I would never have thought of adding pickles, but that sounds good.
Love coleslaw!! And this version looks so light and fresh! thanks for the recipe and the reminder to pick up a cabbage this week! Happy summer eating!!
You’re description is spot on! Thanks!
now you have given me a new product to try, I have never heard of cornichon pickles. Thanks! Your photos are so delicious!
Thank you! Cornichon’s are spicy and tasty!
I really like coleslaw, such a tasty classic. When it comes to it, it’s all about the dressing and a fresh yogurt one is the best!
I agree! The yogurt dressing works perfectly!