These muffins are great for breakfast with your coffee or tea or just for a pick-me-up snack in the middle of the day.
The Real Food ingredients, including the whole wheat flours, the protein in the yogurt and the lower amount of sugar all contribute to making these healthier than other types of muffins. So I don’t feel guilty about enjoying one of my favorite foods, Muffins!
THE FRESH AND REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
Begin by pre-heating your oven and lining a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners. Then zest the whole orange and squeeze the juice from it.
Before anything else, mix together the orange juice and orange zest and oatmeal. Let them rest while combining the other ingredients, this will keep the oats from being too dry. Then melt some butter slightly and let it cool.
Next, in one bowl, whisk together the wheat flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, add the egg and yogurt and whisk together. After that add the cooled melted butter and whisk.
Now combine the wet and dry ingredients. Stir the oatmeal, orange juice mixture into the egg, yogurt mixture. When combined, add to the flour mixture and lightly mix. Then, fold in the dark chocolate chips.
NOTE: Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour is milled from hard white spring wheat rather than the traditional red wheat of regular Whole Wheat Flour. With its lighter color, milder flavor and finer texture, it is a great substitute for all-purpose flour. It gives you all of the nutrition and fiber of whole grains, in a lighter, milder-tasting flour.
Once the batter is combined, fill the muffin cups approximately 2/3 full and sprinkle with a little sugar and bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
ENJOY THE AROMA OF ORANGE AND CHOCOLATE AS THEY BAKE!
Oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C, as well as being a powerful natural antioxidant. I’ve read that eating foods rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance to infections and helps to protect against harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals in the blood.
Fresh Orange and Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 Large Whole Orange (Organic Since We’ll Be Using the Peel)
- 1/2 Cup Oatmeal (Organic Old Fashioned Oats 100% Whole Grain)
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour (100% Whole Grain)
- 1/3 Cup Organic Cane Sugar (Or Granulated Sugar)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest (Or the Whole Orange Zested)
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice (Squeezed From the Orange)
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Melted and Slightly Cooled
- 1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt (Check the Ingredients and Make Sure There is Nothing Unwanted)
- 1 Large Egg, Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (Good Quality – Check the Ingredients Here Also)
- Zest the whole orange first and then squeeze the juice from it. I should yield about a 1/2 cup of juice.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan cups with paper liners.
- Melt the butter slightly and let it cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together the orange juice and orange zest and oatmeal. Let them rest while combining the other ingredients. This keeps the oats from being too dry.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wheat flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, add the egg and yogurt, and whisk together. Add the cooled melted butter and whisk.
- Stir the oatmeal, orange juice mixture into the egg, yogurt mixture. When combined, add to the flour mixture and lightly mix.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin cups approximately 2/3 full and sprinkle with a little sugar and then bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
DIANNA’S EASY REAL FOOD RECIPES – easyrealfoodrecipes.com
Heart Seasons: A Journey of Miracles
A spiritual fiction novel inspired by real life events is available HERE.